Atkinson, Robert, Daniel Castro, and Stephen Ezell. “Enabling Customer-Driven Innovation in the Federal Government.” , Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, 10 July 2017, http://www.progressivepolicy.org/slider/beyond-goods-and-services-the-unmeasured-rise-of-the-data-driven-economy/.
This page will be continuously updated with pertinent news, press releases, and academic articles.
Hamza Shaban and Brian Fung. “Here’s what you need to know about the Google E.U. fine.” The Washington Post. June 27, 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/06/27/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-google-e-u-fine/
- The authors explain the thought process behind the European Union’s recent $2.7 billion fine, as well as the potential implications for other antitrust cases in Europe and the United States.
Taylor Hatmaker. “Border agents can’t lawfully search data stored in the cloud.” TechCrunch. July 14th, 2017. https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/14/cbp-letter-to-wyden-homeland-security-border-cloud-data/
- Details a statement from the United States Customs and Border Protection agency declaring that their warrantless border searches are only applicable to locally-stored data.
John Eggerton. “House Committee Backs Stronger Email/Data Privacy.” Broadcasting & Cable. July 14, 2017. http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/house-committee-backs-stronger-emaildata-privacy/167153
- Explains the House Appropriations Committee’s decision to require warrants for the government to access data stored in the cloud, as opposed to only a subpoena.
Ezell, Stephen, and Bret Swanson. “How Cloud Computing Enables Modern Manufacturing.” , Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, June 2017, www2.itif.org/2017-cloud-computing-enables-manufacturing.pdf?mc_cid=237ffa8d2e&mc_eid=8c42540836
- As an instrumental platform technology, cloud computing has transformed modern manufacturing, and is key to enabling smart manufacturing.
Mandel, Michael. The Economic Impact of Data: Why Data Is Not Like Oil, Progressive Policy Institute, 11 July 2017, http://www.progressivepolicy.org/publications/economic-impact-data-data-not-like-oil/.
- Mandel argues against the saying “data is the new oil” as their economic values, limitations, and pertinent regulations affect how both data and oil can impact economic growth.
Mandel, Michael. Beyond Goods and Services: The (Unmeasured) Rise of the Data-Driven Economy, Progressive Policy Institute, 4 Oct. 2012, www.progressivepolicy.org/slider/beyond-goods-and-services-the-unmeasured-rise-of-the-data-driven-economy/.
- Data and privacy regulatory policy can have a negative impact on the ability of an increasingly data-driven economy to harness its potential for economic growth, serving as a global constraint on the flow of information and subsequent growth prospects.
Atkinson, Robert, Daniel Castro, and Stephen Ezell. “Enabling Customer-Driven Innovation in the Federal Government.” , Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, 10 July 2017, https://itif.org/publications/2017/07/10/enabling-customer-driven-innovation-federal-government.
- The authors argue that the only way any organization, public or private, can succeed in the long-term is “to be able to regularly and consistently transform itself through innovation, including developing new products, processes, services, and business models.”